Archive for May 14th, 2010

CARDAMOM SET TO A NEW HIGH :)

Even if with hue and cry in the commodities market with dollar index noticing terrific movements with a weaker rupee, cardamom the “Queen of all spices” price movement in 2010 began its journey with Rs. 1131 per kg, giving the investors a return of 27% (approx) in few months of time.

.

Cardamom futures (May Contract) at MCX commodity bourse is now trading at life time high at Rs.1445/kg.

.

Cultivation:

.

Cardamom starts in bearing capsules three years after planting. There are three distinctive types of cardamom grown in India viz., Malabar, Mysore and Vazhukka type. Malabar and the Guatemalan are the two major commercial varieties of small cardamom in the world. Indian cardamom is slightly smaller. After the first crop, higher and sustained yields are obtained in subsequent years up to the tenth or fifteenth year, depending on the type cultivated and upon the level of management.

.

Production in India:

.

Production of cardamom is mostly concentrated in the ever green forests of Western Ghats in South India. It is grown in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka.

.

Large Cardamom is cultivated in the Sub-Himalayan region of North Eastern India, Nepal and Bhutan. Kerala is the largest producer of cardamom with a share of around 70% in the total production. Karnataka shares around 20% and rest comes from Tamil Nadu. India consumes almost 90% of the domestic production and exports only 5 to 8% of its total production. India also exports by-products of cardamom like cardamom oil and oleoresins to the European countries.

.

Vandanmedu, Kumily, Thekkady in Kerala, Bodinayakanur, Pattiveeranpatti in Tamil Nadu, Saklashpur, Mercara, Medikeri, Mangalore in Karnataka are the major trading centers in India for cardamom

Production in world:

.

Cardamom is also referred as “grains of paradise”. The world production of cardamom is around 35000 metric tonnes per year. Guatemala is the leading producer of this spice with a production of around 23000MT and around 66% share in the global production. India is now the second largest producer of cardamom in the world with production of around 12000 metric tonnes of cardamom every year. Tanzania, Sri Lanka, El Salvador, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Papua New Guinea are the major cardamom growing countries.

.

EXIM scenario

.

In India, the Average production for Cardamom is around 12000 tonnes per year, but in 2009-10 the production is expected to fall down to around 8000 tonnes. With the domestic consumption very robust and exports looking good, cardamom prices are seen moving to record levels in the current season. Global shortage due lesser production in Guatemala is also adding the momentum of prices. Exports have gained almost 12-15% of its production during the first ten months of the last financial year that ends in March this year. Exports during April-January stood at 1,500 tonnes, up almost 283% from last year and it is the highest level in last 10 year, while in value terms the figures were estimated to be around Rs 118.71 crore, up 206% during the same period last year.

.

Concluding with the view that each commodity has its own fundamentals, demand and supply profile, which drive its prices. Though, the secondary driver, dollar index often gives impact on the commodity prices significantly.